One of the phrases that I often say during my talks with God is, “Thank You Lord for protecting me from dangers seen and unseen, known and unknown.” On Saturday, November 29, 2014 these words took on a new meaning for me.
My sons and I had returned to a very cold home around 9:00 pm that Saturday night after spending Thanksgiving with family in another state. Before we left home for our trip, I turned the thermostat to the off position because we would be away for several days, and I did not want the furnace running while we were not home. After arriving home I had to go to the local store to purchase batteries for the thermostat because it was no longer in operation. When I replaced the batteries the thermostat read 52ºF. I set the thermostat to 70ºF to warm the house as we prepared for bed.
I fell asleep around 11:00 pm in the warmth and comfort of our home. Everything was fine as far as I could tell. That is until a loud sound occurred. Around 12:50 am Sunday morning I heard an alarm blaring in the hallway and a female voice coming from the alarm stating that carbon monoxide (CO) was present and we needed to get out. I was confused for a few moments because I did not expect a carbon monoxide detector to have a voice. A few years ago my husband purchased a new smoke detector that included a carbon monoxide detector as well. My husband is into electronics, so of course he bought the voice activated monitor. Back then I did not feel the need for it, but I thank God that he purchased it!
I didn’t smell or see anything in the air, but I knew we had to get out of the house immediately. I woke up my sons and told them to put on some warm clothing because we had to get out of the house. We exited the house, entered my husband’s car, and then I called 911. The firefighters arrived at our home quickly and detected a high level of CO inside of the house with their handheld detector. They told me we could not re-enter the home until a heating and air professional repaired the issue with the heating system. The firefighters ventilated our home by opening the doors and windows, and they gave me the suitcases that were in the living room area. We stayed at a family member’s house until the furnace was replaced a few days after the incident occurred. The technician found that the flue pipe that allowed the gas to exit the home was disconnected somehow, so that is how the gas entered into our home.
I give God all the glory for putting it on my husband’s heart and mind to buy a CO detector, and I thank God for sparing our lives. I even thank God for the inventor of the detector! The words that I pray to my Heavenly Father are not mere words. My prayer of thanking God for protecting us from dangers seen and unseen, known and unknown became a tangible demonstration by way of carbon monoxide. You see carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is deadly, dubbed “the silent killer.” Therefore, this experience showed me the power of a believer’s words- we have what we say.
There are many deaths each year that result from CO poisoning, so I encourage you to purchase a CO detector for your home if you do not own one already. How befitting it is to gift your residence with an early Christmas gift that can save your household’s lives just as God used it to save ours. Be sure to share this post with your family and friends as well to raise awareness and action concerning carbon monoxide poisoning.